Thursday, April 28, 2011

Arabian Nights

Lilian Chestney's Arabian Nights was quite an interesting read. The stories were intriguing, and reminded me of the films that were based off of these tales. One that stuck out in particular was Sinbad. I guess I just couldn't stop rooting for the guy every time he found himself in a spot of trouble, always knowing his story wouldn't end with his demise. As for the others, Aladdin in particular was funny in that it was interesting to read through and compare how Disney took some story moments and transformed into a film for children.

Style wise I liked the inked drawings but I didn't care much for the colors. I think I would have gotten just as much out of this if it were monochromatic. That being said I did enjoy the way some characters and bubbles exited the panels to create a more interesting composition on the page. It's something that I really enjoy in comics as I feel like they become more like illustrations than story telling tools at that point.

No comments:

Post a Comment