Wednesday, April 27, 2011

Web Comics: Portal 2 launch comic

Not having the money to actually buy the game, but still aspiring to enter the universe of the story I decided to read a comic based off of the newly launched sequel to the puzzle game Portal with "Portal 2: Lab Rat part 1" available here: http://comics.ign.com/articles/116/1160605p1.html

Lets just say I wasn't expecting much, and having said that I could state that I got what I had predicted. Portal's story basically revolves around you, a randomly selected test subject who's basically there to test the capacity for learning on the go, in a giant maze of deadly puzzles. While the game was loads of fun, and actually requires intelligent thought, I found this comic to be a mess of styles and thoughts that didn't really tie in to a coherent story. I know that this is the first volume, but I found it to be pretty haphazard in thought and didn't really grab my attention because it was too full of fanservice with the fake techy lingo and memorable moments that occur while playing the game.There were parts that I really admired for the visual style, but what drew me away every now and then was the fact that they changed styles. This wasn't as drastic but it was different enough to take me away from the experience and question why they chose to do so. All in all I feel that it had a few good visuals, a not so easy to jump into story, and I don't wish to continue with this as more volumes are released.

No comments:

Post a Comment