Wednesday, April 27, 2011

Reconsidering the super hero: Watcmen

I'm not a big fan of hero stories, but this one caught my interest because of the different portrayal of super heroes. I first became interested in this series a few months before the movie was to be released, so I decided to download it and read a bit before I actually saw the film. Having seen the movie and revisiting the comic I can say I really admire the film's director for looking at the comic for shot placement. Some of the shots in the film were directly taken from the panels in the comic, something you don't see in other super hero movies.

As for the story, I really enjoyed the way it evolved, starting with a murder investigation and turning into the prevention of nuclear war. I'm really interested in the WW 2 and cold war era, which I think is what really kept my interest. The characters felt real because they didn't just zip off to save the day and that was it, there were always flaws with the characters that made them feel more relatable.

No comments:

Post a Comment