Wednesday, April 27, 2011

European Comics: Persepolis

Having only read the first book, I can say I would really like to jump into the second part of this story. The imagery and the way Marjane depicts it drew me in immediately. Being a CA major has brought me to see many styles, realism being one I've seen over done for far too long. So you could say I have an appreciation for the graphic, simplistic-shaped, clean panels that were put together for Persepolis. This brings me back to the idea from understanding comics, that no matter how simple you draw a face, even a circle with dots and a line for the mouth could represent a face no matter how long you try to envision something else. The visuals along with the story of a young girl growing up in a war torn nation kept me wanting to read more in my free time. I felt that things Marjane went through were presented in a realistic manner, something that's there to shock you with the violent imagery, or the innocence of her blissful ignorance to what is actually going on around her. This is definitely something I plan to finish over the summer.

No comments:

Post a Comment